Slow cooker jerk carnitas is one of my favorite proteins to make while on a Whole30, especially in the fall and winter. It’s great to meal prep as it cooks itself. Put it in the slow cooker in the morning and its ready for dinner when you get home from work.
Can slow cooker jerk pork be cooked in the oven, instant pot or slow cooker?
While this recipe calls for it to be cooked in the slow cooker, it can also be made in the oven. Place seasoned pork in a deep Pyrex dish or Dutch oven and cook covered at 250-275 degrees Fahrenheit. I would not recommend you leave the oven on unattended. I use the oven method when I am home doing chores so I can easily get to the stove if something goes wrong. The instant pot is another great option. I use the slow cooker function, but you can pressure cook it if you wish. If you choose to pressure cook it, be sure to cut the pork into chucks and add at least 1/4 cup of liquid. I usually add water with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos. Let the pressure cooker naturally release for at least 10-15 minutes before manually releasing to ensure the meat stays tender.
Things to know about this recipe
- I prefer to use All Seasoning all-purpose and jerk seasoning. All the ingredients are Whole30.
- This goes well with cauliflower rice bowls, cauliflower rice and peas or use two tostones to make a sandwich.
- It’s even better the second day. Make the day before and let it sit in the fridge to develop more flavor.
Other similar recipes
Slow Cooker Jerk Carnitas
- Cutting board
- Slow cooker
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Measuring spoons
- 5-8 pounds pork shoulder/butt cut in 1-2 inch chunks⠀
- 1 medium onion sliced⠀
- 3 stalks scallion chopped⠀
- 1 bell pepper chopped⠀
- 5 cloves garlic chopped⠀
- 2 tsp salt⠀
- 2 tsp all purpose seasoning optional
- 1 TBSP jerk seasoning⠀
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos⠀
- 2 TBSP compliant teriyaki divided
- Jerk seasoning:⠀
- 1 TBSP garlic powder⠀
- 1 TBSP onion powder⠀
- 4 tsp dried thyme⠀
- 2 tsp ground allspice⠀
- 2 tsp black pepper⠀
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes⠀
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper⠀
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Combine everything except 1 TBSP teriyaki sauce in the slow cooker and mix together and cook for 5 hours on high. ⠀
- Once done, remove to a bowl and shred. Add the remaining teriyaki sauce and 2 tsp jerk seasoning and mix. ⠀
- Add to a large parchment lined sheet pan and broil for 10-15 minutes. Then stir and broil another 10 minutes. ⠀
- Serve with your favorite side.