Jerk chicken Caesar salad is a Jamaican twist on a classic salad. It’s perfect on hot summer days when you want something delicious and flavorful but not in the mood to do a lot of cooking. Perfect salad to prep ahead for the week as well. This recipe is Paleo, Whole30 compatible and Grain Free.
Grill vs air fryer?
I think the best flavor will come from the grill. However, an air fryer will work just fine. On hot summer days I don’t want to be outside in the heat and I don’t want to turn on the oven, so the air fryer is a great option. The croutons can also be made in the air fryer. I would recommend making those in the air fryer first then adding the chicken.
What type of plantains should I use for the croutons?
Green plantains are the perfect ones to use to make croutons. If it has a little yellow in it that’s fine. The riper they get the less crispy they will be. I would also recommend cutting them smaller to ensure they get really crispy. Check out the full recipe here.
What greens should I use to make the Jerk Chicken Caesar Salad?
Any sturdy green or lettuce will work for this jerk chicken Caesar salad recipe. I would lean towards the classic hearts of romaine, but it would be great with a radicchio and romaine mix. You could also try using kale. Stay away from more delicate greens like arugula or spinach.
Things to know about making a Jerk Chicken Caesar salad:
- To keep the salad from getting too soggy, store the ingredients separately and add together when ready to eat.
- I used the Paleo Caesar dressing from Sprouts. It’s also Whole30 compatible.
- Save yourself time by using a pre chopped salad greens.
- If you don’t have an air fryer or a grill the chicken can be cooked stove top or in the oven. You could even use a toaster oven.
- If you want a parmesan cheese look to your salad, feel free to add some nutritional yeast.
Jerk Chicken Caesar Salad
- Air Fryer
- 2 Mixing bowls
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Wooden spoon
- Paper towels or Kitchen towels
- 1 Salad bowl
- 1 Cutting board
Air Fryer Jerk Chicken
- 1 pound Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 TBSP All-purpose seasoning
- 1 TBSP Jerk seasoning
- 1 TBSP poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 10-ounce package Pre chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1-1.5 TBSP Whole30 compatible Caesar dressing
- 1 green plantain peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
- 3 TBSP Coconut oil for frying
- Season chicken by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing to combine.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat large skillet on medium. Once heated add 3 TBSP coconut oil.
- Combine all remaining ingredients to make croutons (plantain, salt, garlic powder, onion powder. and 1 tsp coconut oil).
- Add seasoned croutons to oil once hot and cook 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When air fryer is heated, add chicken and cook for 20 minutes, flip halfway through.
- Remove croutons when golden (7-10 minutes) and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- When chicken is done, remove to a cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Allow to cool for a few minutes (about 3 minutes).
- Add romaine lettuce, jerk chicken, croutons and salad dressing to a salad bowl and mix. Add more dressing to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!