Jerk chicken Caesar salad is a Jamaican twist on a classic salad. It’s perfect on hot summer days when you want something delicious and flavorful but not in the mood to do a lot of cooking. Perfect salad to prep ahead for the week as well. This recipe is Paleo, Whole30 compatible and Grain Free.
Grill vs air fryer?
I think the best flavor will come from the grill. However, an air fryer will work just fine. On hot summer days I don’t want to be outside in the heat and I don’t want to turn on the oven, so the air fryer is a great option. The croutons can also be made in the air fryer. I would recommend making those in the air fryer first then adding the chicken.
What type of plantains should I use for the croutons?
Green plantains are the perfect ones to use to make croutons. If it has a little yellow in it that’s fine. The riper they get the less crispy they will be. I would also recommend cutting them smaller to ensure they get really crispy. Check out the full recipe here.
What greens should I use to make the Jerk Chicken Caesar Salad?
Any sturdy green or lettuce will work for this jerk chicken Caesar salad recipe. I would lean towards the classic hearts of romaine, but it would be great with a radicchio and romaine mix. You could also try using kale. Stay away from more delicate greens like arugula or spinach.
Things to know about making a Jerk Chicken Caesar salad:
- To keep the salad from getting too soggy, store the ingredients separately and add together when ready to eat.
- I used the Paleo Caesar dressing from Sprouts. It’s also Whole30 compatible.
- Save yourself time by using a pre chopped salad greens.
- If you don’t have an air fryer or a grill the chicken can be cooked stove top or in the oven. You could even use a toaster oven.
- If you want a parmesan cheese look to your salad, feel free to add some nutritional yeast.
Jerk Chicken Caesar Salad
- Air Fryer
- 2 Mixing bowls
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Wooden spoon
- Paper towels or Kitchen towels
- 1 Salad bowl
- 1 Cutting board
Air Fryer Jerk Chicken
- 1 pound Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 TBSP All-purpose seasoning
- 1 TBSP Jerk seasoning
- 1 TBSP poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 10-ounce package Pre chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1-1.5 TBSP Whole30 compatible Caesar dressing
- 1 green plantain peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
- 3 TBSP Coconut oil for frying
- Season chicken by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing to combine.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat large skillet on medium. Once heated add 3 TBSP coconut oil.
- Combine all remaining ingredients to make croutons (plantain, salt, garlic powder, onion powder. and 1 tsp coconut oil).
- Add seasoned croutons to oil once hot and cook 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When air fryer is heated, add chicken and cook for 20 minutes, flip halfway through.
- Remove croutons when golden (7-10 minutes) and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- When chicken is done, remove to a cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Allow to cool for a few minutes (about 3 minutes).
- Add romaine lettuce, jerk chicken, croutons and salad dressing to a salad bowl and mix. Add more dressing to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!
One thought on “Jerk Chicken Caesar Salad”
[…] In Jamaica, festival is served with jerk chicken, Jerk Pork or fried fish. They are best served straight out of the skillet. If you have leftovers the next day, you can break them up into pieces and use them as croutons in a salad like this Jerk Caesar Salad. […]