Stew peas is a meal you make in big pot of on the weekend and can stretch to the middle of the week. My dumpling recipe works great in this recipe to keep it gluten free, and I also used canned peas to save time.
Instant Pot Jamaican Stew Peas
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Instant Pot
- Wooden spoon
- 2-2.5 lbs pig tails⠀
- 2 cans kidney beans⠀
- 1 can full fat coconut milk⠀
- 4 cups water or broth⠀
- 1 TBSP pimento seeds crushed ⠀
- 2 stalks green onion chopped into chunks⠀
- 1 medium onion chopped⠀
- 3 cloves garlic chopped⠀
- 2 sprigs of thyme ⠀
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or 1 tsp cayenne or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional⠀
- Salt to taste⠀
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¼ - 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum omit if your flour has it
- Trim big pieces of fat off the pig tails. Leave some of the fat as it will add flavor.
- Soak pig tail in a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water for 10 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Season the pig tails liberally with salt. ⠀
- In a bowl add flour, salt, xantham gum (if needed) and mix. ⠀
- Slowly add water (about a tablespoon at a time) and knead until a dough forms. ⠀
- Pinch small pieces of the dough and rub between your hands to form very thin cigar shaped dumplings. The ends should be rounded. ⠀
- Combine all ingredients into the instant pot with 1/2 tsp of salt and stir. Do not exceed the max fill line. Make sure you get the remnants at the bottom of the can as that’s what will you give the dish color. Add in spinners and make sure they get covered by liquid. ⠀
- Close the lid (ensure your lid is set to sealing) and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. ⠀
- 10. Once done let the instant pot naturally release for 15 minutes then manually release. ⠀
- 11. Turn on the sauté mode and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Be sure to stir the bottom often so it doesn’t stick.
- 12. Serve over rice or as is in a bowl. Enjoy!